It’s almost here…311 Day 2014 is right around the corner! I still can’t get used to seeing “311 Day 2014” everywhere – it’s hard to believe my first 311 Day was 10 years ago already! It feels like just yesterday that my friend Erik and I drove all the way down to New Orleans from Wisconsin for one of the most memorable trips of my life. I will never forget the insane amount of energy and excitement on Bourbon Street, and the experience of an epic five hour-long concert! I was blown away!
There are so many things to think about when it comes to 311 Day – especially this year, with the new album dropping on the same day. But, I’ve found myself daydreaming about the show quite a bit lately, and decided to put together my ultimate 311 Day show wishlist of songs. I would usually say, “I know some of these are not possible,” but, after being surprised with songs like “Time is Precious,” “Firewater,” “Down South,” “This Too Shall Pass,” and many other rarities, I honestly think that anything can happen!
I originally planned to keep my list to five songs, but I couldn’t quite do it. So, these are the top ten gems I’m hoping to hear at 311 Day 2014:
1. LONG FOR THE FLOWERS – I fell in love with this song instantly, the very first time I heard it. I could go on and on about why, but I’ll spare the details here! In short, the guitar parts are simply beautiful, and I love how they contrast with the vocal melodies. The lyrics touch me deeply as well, and I just feel, overall, that this song is incredibly unique, mature, and emotional…it casts a spell over me every time, no matter how many times I hear it. I have also always found it particularly intriguing since it began as an instrumental, with lyrics added years later. I was CRUSHED to have missed it on the 3rd 311 Caribbean Cruise, so I hope I get a second chance this 311 Day!
2. WHAT DO YOU DO – I’ve liked this song for a long time now, but have become quite obsessed with it over the past year or two. It has SO much energy, and doesn’t stop! The guitar parts are so awesome! Both Tim and Chad really shine on this song. The lyrics are also pretty interesting…I often wonder who/what inspired this song, and what might have driven Nick to write about this subject. Not to mention, it hasn’t been played since 2002!
3. ANYTHING ACOUSTIC – I’ve been saying this forever…I am DYING to see an acoustic performance by 311. Ever since hearing “I’ll Be Here Awhile” acoustic – and loving it, as well as a few rare live acoustic radio performances you can listen to HERE – I have been hoping to hear more acoustic from 311. I’m not saying I want them to start doing an acoustic set at every show by any means, but a mini live performance at something like 311 Day would be so amazing! Why? For me, hearing songs acoustic shows the versatility of the music and provides another perspective; another way to experience the core of the song, in its simplest form. I just hope it happens someday!
4. WE DO IT LIKE THIS – I’ve always loved this From Chaos b-side, since I heard it on the bonus CD that came with ETSD2. It’s just a really fun song that I’ve always wanted to hear live, and I always loved the line, “That’s where we grow the gems, the pearls…” Whenever this song comes on, I always think about hearing it at the 311 Day Fan Party in New Orleans in 2004 for some reason, and how excited I was…so it would be especially cool if they played it this year back in NOLA! This song is also a major rarity, not played since 2002!
5. DAMN – This song would be sooo epic to see live!! Mainly because the lyrics are so much more fitting for a 20-year old Nick, and it would be pretty amusing to hear him sing this now. “No thank you ma’am, BITCH!” Come on! Who doesn’t want to see this?! It hasn’t been played since 1997!
6. ROLLIN’ – I’m SO sad I missed this at the Pow Wow Festival in 2011! I’ve always wanted to see this live, mostly for the same reasons I want to see “Damn”… It would be such a sweet throwback experience!
7. PUSH IT AWAY – This super old song from the Dammit! album is so awesome! I love the chorus, and I think this song would translate really well live – it doesn’t even sound “old!” Random note: I’ve always thought the “Just push it away” part always sounded like Art Alexakis from Everclear for some reason.
8. BORDERS – I believe I’ve only heard this once – in Kansas City in the fall of 2009 – and it was nothing short of magical. I’ve wanted to see it live again soo bad ever since!!
9. DREAMLAND – This instrumental is so perfect and has always been one of my favorites…I would kill to hear it live, but I’m sure the chances are slim to none.
10. PARADISE – I’ve seen this song plenty of times, but I would love to hear it at 311 Day just to celebrate the new website and the fact that Nick mentioned it recently. Besides all that, it’s a great song, and one that has always been near and dear to my heart!
Well, that wraps it up. No matter what 311 plays, the show is going to be amazing!
Only 13 days til show day!! I can’t wait!